Saturday, May 2, 2009

I wonder

The stereotypical 'friend' is a person that goes out and does things, takes pictures and makes memories, and knows how to have a good time. A stereotypical 'friend' is someone you've known for years and has been there through the thick and thin, making choices you know you'll probably regret when you're 35, and the guy you know will be your best man at your wedding.

I've found stereotypes something not to rely on, I've found stereotypes to be wrong too often. I've also found that as far as true friends go, I've had few and sparse between, three total that I can recall. One of those was a true close friend, the other was my attempt at one, and one turned out to be my half-brother . Over the course of the last 20 years of life, I've also realized that friendship is relative, to yourself and the other person. This is what I've divulged about myself...

I'm the kind of person that will share anything, anything about my life. I will write it all down in a book and hand it to you for free. You can be an absolute jerk to me and everyone else, and I'll be your friend. Why? Cause I'm a sucker like that and I've got too big of a heart. But, the thing that makes you my close friend, is if you can understand me. Truly, I don't understand myself half the time, but that's a different blog. But I find it interesting, that with me feeling free to open my entire life to people, why I haven't had closer friends in the past, and not in the emo sense.

I've realized that as much as I share my life, I avoid commitment to connections. I've wanted to paint a picture to people but not let them buy it. I've become this nomadic person, not because I'm scared of what commitment might bring, but because I see all this amazing variety in people, these amazing differences, and I just can't stay in one place, I want to be close to everybody!

For the longest time I saw this as bad. I thought you had to have a best friend since high school. And now I'm realizing like many other things, I don't have to. Everything comes in time, and if it doesn't come it's not meant to be. It's an odd thing, time is. You never know when it's gonna be right until you know. Anyway, this is my narcissistic speech on what my friendships have vaguely looked like. How bout yours eh, give some feedback.

No comments: